Be Smart and reduce the time you waste being stuck in traffic
Carry on reading to find out information about the busiest times on Northamptonshire's road network...
Remember you can find out the most live and up-to-date Northamptonshire traffic congestion information by visiting the Smart Map page of this website
Don't forget to check out the innovative Northamptonshire Smart Corridor Dashboard tool to view historical traffic trends across Northamptonshire's road network and use it to work out the best (e.g. quietest and most reliable) times to travel on your desired route!
Did you know...
- On average, UK drivers spend 124 hours stuck in traffic each year, which is predicted to rise to 136 hours by 2030. This is the equivalent of 18 working days!
- Congestion in the UK costs the average family more than £1400 in lost time alone and is predicted to rise by 44% to over £2000 by 2030 - which is more than 2 times more than the average monthly rent for a property in Northamptonshire!
Frustrated with wasting your free time stuck in traffic?
Thinking Smartly about the time that you choose to travel is one way to beat congestion!
Roads are busiest, and thus often most congested, on...
- Weekday mornings - when lots of people are travelling to work and school
- Weekday afternoons / evenings - when lots of people are travelling from work and school
- Saturday lunchtimes - (especially around town centres, shopping and leisure areas) as this is often people’s favourite time for doing a weekly food shop, going on a shopping spree or to meet up with friends and family.
‘Rush hour’ refers to the period of time where traffic congestion on roads and crowding on public transport is at its highest and falls between 07:00 -10:00 in the weekday mornings and 16:00 – 18:30 in the weekday evenings – varying in length and impact from road to road.
Within the busy periods highlighted there are often key hours where the roads are particularly congested.
Current Traffic Conditions
Remember to check the Smart Map for current traffic conditions on the roads now
Historical Traffic Conditions
Check out the innovative Northamptonshire Smart Corridor Dashboard tool to view historical traffic trends across Northamptonshire's road network and use it to work out the best (e.g. quietest and most reliable) times to travel on your desired route!